Based in Tok, a town of some 1,414 people in eastern Alaska about 93 miles north of the Canadian border, 40-Mile Air provides Alaska bush-plane charter service for the Wrangell St.-Elias National Park, the Yukon-Charley Preserve, the Alaska Range, the Tetlin Wildlife Refuge and the Fortymile country. The outfitter has been providing bush-plane charter services to Alaska’s eastern interior since 1959 at competitive Alaska bush plane rates. The present fleet consists of 4 Super Cubs, 2 Cessna 206s, 1 Cessna 207, 1 Cessna 185, 1 Robinson R44 helicopter and 1 twin engine Piper Navajo. Custom flight-seeing trips can be designed based on a customer’s interest. 40-Mile Air operates regularly scheduled departures from Tok (to Fairbanks, Healy Lake, Delta, Chicken, Chisana, and Northway) and from Fairbanks (to Tok, Delta, and Healy Lake).
Sample Alaska Bush Plane Rates Charged by 40-Mile Air
- A popular 1-hour trip flies west of Tok in search of Moose and tours the glaciers of the Alaska Range expecting to see not only glaciers but sheep as well. This trip cost $200 per person for 2 people or $135 per person with 3 or 4 people.
- Fly the 2-hour mail route to Chisana for $105 per person.
- Rates are available for custom designed flight-seeing trips.
- All Alaska bush plane rates are subject to change.
View the Migration of the Fortymile Caribou in Alaska
View the migration of the Fortymile caribou herd. With some 50,000 animals, this is the largest caribou herd in the interior of Alaska. Land in the middle of the herd’s migration. Mid-June through mid-July is the best time to see this movement of caribou in Alaska. Other wildlife viewing that may be experienced on this trip includes bears, moose, and wolves. A single day caribou migration flight is $600 per person with a two person minimum; a multi-day experience is $1,500 per person.
Hiking and Trekking in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park
Fly to the trailheads for self-guided hiking and trekking in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and the Alaska Range. Land near Alaska mountains and glaciers. Possible hiking routes include
- Robertson River to Dry Tok Creek through Thushtena Pass (20 miles)
- Trout Lake to Dry Tok Through Gillett Pass (30 miles)
- Robinson River to Alaska Highway through Noname Creek (25 miles)
- Johnson River to Robertson River (20 to 30 miles)
Float Trips in the Yukon-Charley Preserve
Fly to launching locations for self-guided float trips on Fortymile River or the Charley River in the Yukon-Charley Preserve.
Fishing on Jathamund and Wellesley Lakes
Fly to fishing locations on lakes with public use cabins in the Yukon-Charley Preserve
- Jathamund Lake. Has fully equipped cabins and boat rental
- Wellesley Lake. Fully equipped cabins and boat rental
Hunting in the Eastern Alaska’s Game Management Units
The outfitter has extensive experience in Eastern Alaska’s interior game management units 20E, 20D, 12 and 13. The outfitter serves the Tok and Delta Trophy Sheep Management areas designated by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. Piper Super Cubs allow landing on ridge tops and stream beds in areas where there is little competition from other hunters. Bear hunting packages are available through the outfitter. Alaska hunting season usually runs from August 10th to September 20th.
Read more about 40-Mile Air