Backpack Yosemite National Park, hike with pack stock, rock climb, create custom Yosemite experiences for your family or your group. Southern Yosemite Mountain Guides has been guiding in Yosemite and the High Sierra since 1991. It was named one of the ”Best Outfitters on Earth” by National Geographic Adventure Magazine.
Backpack Yosemite National Park and the High Sierra
- John Muir Trail (23 days, 22 nights) Outside Magazine rated this Southern Yosemite Mountain Guides trip one of the 50 greatest trips in the world. 212 miles from Yosemite National Park to Mount Whitney along the crest of the Sierra Nevada. Food is resupplied 4 times during the trip to keep packs light.
- Yosemite Grand Traverse Backpack (8 days 7 nights) Hike 60 miles through the heart of Yosemite. Ascend Half Dome. Hike a section of the John Muir Trail. Camp at Cathedral Lake.
- Trans-Sierra Trail to Mount Whitney (10 days, 9 nights) Cross the Sierra Nevada through Sequoia National Park. Ascend Mount Whitney. Hike on three famous trails, the John Muir Trail, the High Sierra Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail.
- Red Peak Loop (7 days, 6 nights) Backpack Yosemite National Park. Hike a 52-mile loop through the heart of Yosemite. Includes Red Peak Pass, hiking beside the Merced River, camping beneath ice fields of Ottoway Lakes Basin.
- Yosemite High Passes Loop (7 days, 6 nights) 50-mile loop hike through Yosemite. Cross 4 mountain passes, including Red Peak Pass at 11,180 feet.
- Alpine Lakes (5 days, 4 nights) Pristine high lake basins of the Ansel Adams Wilderness. An optional summit of one of the 10,000 foot + peaks of the Merced Range.
- Yosemite Falls Loop (3 days, 2 nights) Backpack Yosemite National Park. Backpack Yosemite’s North Rim. Hike beside Yosemite Falls – at 2,425 feet the highest waterfall in North America.
- Half Dome Backpacking Weekend (4 days, 3 nights or 5 days, 4 nights) Hike along the Merced River. Hike up Mist Trail. Camp in Little Yosemite Valley. Walk a portion of the John Muir Trail.
- Half Dome Backpacking Weekend (4 days, 3 nights or 5 days, 4 nights) Backpack in Yosemite National Park. Walk along the Merced River towards the summit of Half Dome. Hike Mist Trail. Camp in Little Yosemite Valley. Walk a portion of the John Muir Trail.
- Half Dome and Cloud’s Rest Backpack (4 days, 3 nights or 5 days, 4 nights) Hike towards Clouds Rest and Half Dome. Hike a portion of the John Muir Trail. Begin and end at Yosemite Valley.
- High Tour (4 days, 3 nights) Backpack Yosemite National Park. Basecamp in Ansel Adams Wilderness and choose from several optional day trips.
- Sierra High Route (26 days, 25 nights) Trek 195 strenuous miles from Southern Kings Canyon to Northern Yosemite. Hike mostly above the timberline through the heart of the High Sierra.
Hiking with Packstock on John Muir or Pacific Crest Trails
Mules pack gear and provisions along the trail.
- Yosemite Grand Traverse with Horsepack Support (8 days, 7 nights) Begins in Ansel Adams Wilderness and ends 57 miles later in Yosemite’s Tuolumne Meadows. Includes an optional summit of Half Dome.
- John Muir Trail: Agnew Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows (5 days, 4 nights) Hike the John Muir Trail with mule packing support.
- Mt. Whitney with Horsepack Support (7 days, 6 nights) Travel portions of the John Muir Trail and the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail on the way to Mount Whitney the highest mountain (14,500 feet) in the lower 48.
- Ansel Adams Wilderness High Sierra Camp (5 days, 4 nights) Base camp in Ansel Adams Wilderness and day-trip to optional destinations.
- Ales and Trails (5 days, 4 nights) Base camp in Ansel Adams Wilderness supported by South Gate Brewery for a combination of alpine lakes and cold beer.
Adventure Camping in Tuolumne Meadows and Other Venues
Yosemite camping with a focus on hiking and rock climbing
Day Hiking in Yosemite Valley
Walk one of these interpretive day hikes or arrange with a guide to custom design a day trip.
- Yosemite Valley Day Trip
- Glacier Point and Yosemite’s South Rim Day Hike
- Glacier Point and Mariposa Grove Day Trip
- Panorama Trail Yosemite Day Hike
- Half Dome Yosemite Day Hike
Rock Climbing in Yosemite High Country
Learn rock climbing skills or increase the skills you already have.
- Rock Climbing Day Guides
- Rock Climbing Skills Day
- Rock Climbing Weekends
- Rock Climbing Camps
Family Adventures Throughout Yosemite
Arrange a private trip for your family or a group of families. Backpack in Yosemite National Park, hike with pack stock, rock climb, create custom Yosemite experiences for your family or your group
Read More about Southern Yosemite Mountain Guides