Mount Baker Mountain Guides is a locally owned mountain guiding outfitter based in Bellingham Washington, in the North Cascades Mountains. The outfitter specializes in climbing Mount Baker including alpine climbing, rock climbing, ice climbing, backcountry skiing, ski traverses, skiing courses, avalanche courses and mountaineering courses. At 10,781 feet, Mount Baker is the third highest mountain in Washington State and the fifth highest in the Cascade Range. Washington’s Mount Baker is one of the snowiest places on earth. In 1999 it set a world record of 1,140 inches (95 feet) in a single season.
Alpine Climbing on Easton Glacier and Other Glaciers
- EASTON GLACIER CLIMB. A good climb for beginners. Learn the basics of glaciated climbing, including climbing with crampons, ice-axe use and roped glacier travel.
- COLEMAN-DEMING CLIMB Follow the Coleman Glacier to its intersection with the Deming Glacier. Includes good views of the North Ridge of Mount Baker and ice falls of the Coleman Glacier.
- NORTH RIDGE CLIMB. Split the Coleman Headwall and Roosevelt Glaciers
- COLEMAN HEADWALL CLIMB. This is a unique feature of the North Cascades. It has been the gold standard for alpine climbing for northwest mountaineers for generations.
Ice Climbing on 180-Foot Panorama Dome
Ice Climbing Mount Baker is a special outdoor experience in its own right, but it is also valuable as preparation for more advanced alpine climbing experiences. These Mt. Baker climbing guides teach the use of specialized equipment makes ice climbing accessible to all levels of climbers. Climb 180-foot Panorama Dome with the safety of top rope support supplied by a professional guide.
Ski Traverses in North Cascades National Park
Ski Traverses are multi-day backcountry ski trips that begin at one point and end at another. These are trips on which the travel and not the destination is the attraction.
- ISOLATION SKI TRAVERSE. Ski through the heart of North Cascades National Park. Climb and descend Eldorado Peak, Isolation Peak, Snowfield Peak and the Backbone Ridge.
- NOOKSACK SKI TRAVERSE. Highlights include ski descents of Mount Shuksan, Icy Peak, Ruth Peak and Nooksack Cirque.
Skiing Courses Backcountry Skiing on Mount Baker
Mount Baker Mountain Guides Backcountry Skiing Courses are structured for intermediate and expert skiers and snowboarders who are looking to sharpen their skills and techniques
- BACKCOUNTRY SKIING INTRO COURSE Take backcountry skiing to the next level.
- SKI MOUNTAINEERING COURSE Combines skiing, backcountry touring and climbing. Participants learn to ski safely in glaciated terrain.
Mountaineering Courses Climbing Mount Baker
Learn skills and techniques for climbing Mount Baker on glaciers, ridges, ice, snow and rock. Experience challenging routes for all types of terrain. Learn skills that can be applied to any alpine environment. Learn how to lead a summit climb of Mount Baker.
Mount Baker Mountain Guides teaches American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education (AIARE) level 1 and level 2 courses as well as an Avalanche Rescue Course.
Read more on the Mount Baker Mountain Guides website