Castine Kayak Adventures is located on the shores of Penobscot Bay in coastal Maine, where experienced local guides kayak Penobscot Bay on tours of the surrounding rivers, bays, and coves. Packages range from short and easy day trips that explore the immediate Penobscot Bay area, to more advanced and far-reaching paddles that explore the estuaries of nearby rivers, marshes, and rocky coastal coves. Staff also provide a full suite of instructional seminars that cover kayaking basics straight through to advanced skills building.
Day Touring Kayak Penobscot Bay
Paddlers tour Castine, Maine’s historic coastline while guides update them on the history of the area and current events. See classic wooden sailboats in the Castine harbor. Paddle coastal islands of Castine Bay. Visit beaches. Observe sea life above and below the waterline. All tours begin with basic sea kayak instruction tailored to the paddlers individual level of experience. Low guide-to-guest ratio ensures that guests get the most out of tours. All gear including kayaks, paddles, paddle floats, and sprayskirts is provided. Tours include:
- Half-day paddles
- Full day paddles
- Sunset Tours
- Sunrise Tours
- Bioluminescent night paddles. Bioluminescent phytoplankton stirred by currents from each paddle stroke light up the water creating a glow-in-the-dark paddling experience. Castine Harbor’ ecosystem provides a perfect environment for this natural wonder. Bioluminescent paddles are best experienced when the nights are the darkest – the less moon, the better.
Overnight Kayaking Trips on the Maine Coast
Overnight trips are from one to five nights. Kayak Penobscot Bay and beyond. Paddlers have the opportunity to get in sync with the rhythm of the ocean currents and the changing tides. Kayak coves and islands of the Maine Coast. Observe wildlife above and below the waterline. Camp on islands to observe sunsets and night stars. All kayaking gear is provided. All meals are provided. Paddlers furnish their own camping gear or rental gear is available. Overnight trips include:
- Exploration of the Bagaduce Estuary (Beginner to intermediate paddlers, 1 or 2 nights)
- Overnight in the Castine Area.(Beginner to advanced paddlers,1 or 2 nights) Island hopping and island hiking. Explore remote beaches. Bioluminescence paddles. Perseid Meteor Showers in mid-August
- Sea Kayaking with Whales: (Intermediate level paddlers) Campobello Island. Kayak in areas where whales migrate. 20-foot tides result in dramatic currents and reveal a unique tidal zone.
- Paddle to Warren Island. (Intermediate to advanced paddlers. 3 days 2 nights) Camp at Warren Island State Park. Hike and explore Warren Island. See cliffs and glacial formations. Paddle around Seven Hundred Acre Island. Paddle to islands south of Warren, weather permitting.
More Kayaking Trips in Penobscot Bay and Beyond
Additional kayak Penobscot Bay and beyond trips are included on the Castine Kayak Adventures website
Custom Kayaking Trips
If you have a group of four or more, Castine will custom design a trip built around your preferences and kayaking skills and then invite others to join.
All trips include sea kayaking instruction and coaching as required. Castine’s Sea Kayak Skills Camp (3 days, 2 nights) includes improving paddling techniques, coastal navigation, understanding tides, understanding currents, kayaking with wind and waves, rescue, towing, camping.
Kayaking Gear Rental in Castine, Maine
Single and double sea kayaks are available for rental to experienced boaters. Packages include sea kayak, paddle and paddle float, PFD, sprayskirt.
Read More about Castine Kayak Adventures